Well it is about time for another post about smoking dear “alternative” readers, right on time for the law that passed in NYC, that means you can not smoke in public outdoor places such as Tompkins (???) Park, Coney Island , and any other parks or beach in the city… except for my secret beach ( it is a federal beach, so legal terms here, bla, blah, we can smoke!!!)
Kinda depressing, just when the summer kicks in, when they finally install free wi-fi in parks… So long to my morning coffee-cigarette-reading emails in Union Square on my way to the office…
So dear (French) tourists please note that you will get a $50 fine for smoking in Central Park, Battery Park, Times Square ( yeah even if there is no tree or grass, it is a considered a park, go figure….) So I say, instead of a no smoking post, I’m gonna double it that’s how Pro-smoking I am !
Smoking & Fashion :
A love story that never ended. Fashion magazine is the last place you can see hot smokers blowing on your face, as nowadays you see more the I-am-missing-throat-4fingers-and-3toes smokers in picture 😉 also because in French the tuxedo is called smoking and it is for sure one of my favorite outfit for a woman, sooo fucking sexy !!!!
And what did I noticed first when I was at the Alexander McQueen exhibition at the Met ? His very first serie of smokings…
Alors les filles on assorti son paquet de Saint Laurent à aon smoking (in case you didn’t know the “inventor” behind the smoking for woman, and this awesome pack design by the fantastic Marc Atlan):
Double smoking baby : it can’t get better than that !!
I am telling you cigarette is the ultimate fashion accessory, check out the latest VOGUE (and guess from which country it is …)
Sometimes in life, you are blessed with serendipity, and it is from my experience that I have the luck to randomly meet more that extraordinary people jut like that.
Marc Atlan is of course one of them. I didn’t know him until I met him ( duh!!!) but I realized afterwards that I have liked and bought almost every single items he has designed:
I frenetically wear and search the web for my favorite fragrance Helmut Lang Eau de Parfum (discontinued 10 years ago)
If I had pictured a pack of cigarettes in a post it would be with the Yves Saint Laurent one.
Marc Atlan is one of the most consistent designer, all his creations are noticeably stamped by his talent yet, stays always minimalist and uber-clean at the service of the iconic brand ( YSL, Helmut Lang, James Perse, Comme des Garcons, Prada, … )
And recently, for the first time, Marc designed and created his own perfume: Petite Mort that condensed in my opinion all of the essence of Marc:
From the concept ( the most sexual scent you could imagine) to the execution and design bien sur, this is a true UNIQUE and powerful creation inspired by one Woman, of course she had to be some woman, one of kind…
Petite Mort captures the emotion and excitation (literally) of a Woman, l’émoi d’une Femme in French:
Food is America is more a utility than an art, and when the Americans try to go fancy gourmet style, it is a bit of a shock culture for a Frenchie:
(mouse over the images to see the French interpretation)
The Cupcake is to American what Macaron is to French:
Warning: not kosher ! chocolate spotted at WholeFoods, the flavor : BACON !!
Cheese in a spray can – Only in America !
As I have a NY girlfriend traveling to Paris for the 1st time, I made her a list for a cheap shopping in Paris (at least the cheapest possible as we, Dollars earners, can really afford anything overseas right now). So here is my ideal shopping list from Paris with the addresses on a Google map on where to find it at the end of the post:
1. BEAUTY / PHARMACY
- CREALINE H2O BIODERMA – Best Skin Cleanser, make-up remover – 9 Euros
- MONOI HEI POA – Pure Monoi Oil form Tahiti – 10 Euros
- LIERAC “APAISANCE” Anti-Aging Cream for sensitive skins (Great for winter) – 30 Euros
- VICHY DEODORANT 48 Hours – Spray deodorant no perfume my favorite – 7 Euros
- Note : when in Paris got to the Pharmacy City Pharma, they have the cheapest prices and great selection.
- DEMAK’UP – Extremely softs cotton pads, I am addicted to them – 1.50 Euros
- NAIR CIRE DIVINE au Monoi – Microwave Wax comes in 2 flavors Berries or Monoi – 6 Euros
- CHOCOLAT COEUR DE NOUGAT – Run straight to the chocolate alley, it’s heaven – around 2 Euros
- FOIS GRAS – It’s French tradition for the holidays, and you can get them through US customs (just make sure it is NOT refrigerated ) – 10 Euros
You can buy all this and much more at Monoprix ( it is could be an equivalent of Duane Reade in NYC plus they have clothes too ! )
- DARJEELING – Black Sheer panty with stones – 15 Euros
- PRINCESSE TAM-TAM – Polka dots bra & thong – 39 Euros & 25 Euros
- ETAM – Natalia collection, Garter Belt – 25 Euros
- MONOPRIX – Deep Navy Bra & frou-fou panty – 20 Euros & 10 Euros
Below is a quick set done on Polyvore with some Parisian shopping, all below 100 euros or almost…
Some affordable shopping in Paris by Madame Lolo on Polyvore.com
And here is below, a quick maps of the Parisian Shopping with New Yorker’s stores references:
View Madame Lolo In Paris in a larger map
Even though I have been living in NYC for a while now, and that here you can find anything at anytime , there are still some French stuff that I miss from La France , so every time I go back to Paris here is what I bring back:
1. BIODERMA CREALINE H2O : The best make-up remover and skin cleanser hands down !! All the make-up artists I know are using liters of it especially during Fashion week. It is around 10 Euros for the 500 ml in France, here forgetaboutit …. the cheapest I found were on ebay for $22 plus shipping
2. DEMAK’UP COTTON PADS: they are softer, bigger and stronger than any cotton pads here, and may I add sooo soft.
3. VICHY DEODORANT 48 HOURS: Because I am never gonna wear SECRET :), but the spray version is not available in the US, I don’t know why …
4. FRENCH CIGARETTES: They taste different, and duty free makes them so much cheaper than here in NYC ( at least $10 a pack…), and the European Marlboro Lights have a brown filters, not a white one like here in the States.
Yves Saint Laurent cigs so chic ...
5. MARIAGE FRERES TEA: Even though there is some places where you can find Marco Polo, I still miss some of the flavored tea only availble in France, such as ( irony) American Breakfast … Also I love their Tea Boxes:
So next time you come and visit me in NYC, you know what to bring ….. 🙂
Note: If you would like to know where to shop those items in Paris, and more on affordable shopping In France check this post.